January 31, 2016

Sleep training work in progress

Baby Milk started sleeping through the night when she was about 2 months old, which is amazing!

However, she'd always been hard to put to sleep and an especially terrible napper. She only napped when held or worn and usually the nap lasted 25 minutes exactly.

This is something I've been working hard to change.

Two weeks ago I accidentally discovered that Milk can, in fact, fall asleep all by herself. That time I was putting her in the crib asleep and she woke up - but I really, REALLY needed to pee, so I told the baby "nighty night," and left.

Bewildered by the lack of bawling, I came back 3 minutes later to find her fast asleep.
Since that fateful night, I've been putting the baby in her crib awake every night, and she would magically fall asleep.

*Self soothing - Achievement unlocked*

Now I'm working on her naps and it's not as easy. We got the self soothing down pat, BUT, Milk just won't stay asleep. 25 minutes is all I get, and then she'd start fussing.

I used to let her fuss it out for a few minutes, but the baby found a way to outsmart me. Now she flips to her tummy, gets stuck that way, and then screams.

Baby Milk, don't you think it's time to learn tummy-to-back?

No comments:

Post a Comment