February 4, 2016

Ewww, eww, mold in my breast pump

I've been using my Medela pump pretty regularly ever since baby Milk was born. Always washed it before use, too.

What I didn't do, was remove the yellow filter thingy before washing. I figured, water was passing through and cleaning everything anyway... right? Wrong!

Couple days ago I've noticed some discoloration in the bend of the top piece. I've removed the yellow filter and peeked in - to my horror and disgust, I've discovered black slimy mold virtually filling the bend of the top.

Quick google search revealed a multitude of blog and forum posts about moldy pumps... and they all seem to be Medela pumps too. I did not find any indication that this mold can be particularly dangerous, though.

So, yeah. Pumps get moldy, instructions should be followed. Today I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment